Monday, August 30, 2010

Girl Next Door~

I am a fairly average girl. I am not gorgeous or ugly. I am not brilliant or stupid. I am not strikingly tall or blindly redheaded or hilariously funny. I am somewhere in the middle of all the extremes. I don’t command attention when I enter a room. I don’t stand out in a crowd. I don’t turn heads on the street or inspire poets or have a fan club. I am the girl next door.

During one of my shameful episodes of reading worthless dating articles online, an article gave the advice that you should never tell someone that you are average. That you never want to be the girl next door. The premise being that you are so different from anyone else they have ever dated that they need to keep seeing you or they will never find anyone like you ever again. In my life, I have found that this dating rule was valid when I was younger. Men inevitably went for the prettier, flirtier, skinnier, louder girl that stood out. The one that held center court at parties and made men puff out their chests when they walked by.

However, now that I am in my thirties....this rule is pretty much crap. I think the very fact that I am girl next door is now a man magnet. Like I have been doused in some kind of strange, primal man attractant as men get older and start feeling the urge to settle down. All of a sudden, the fact that I am worthy of parent introduction is in my favor. In fact, all of the things that made me once nice, but boring, are all points in my favor. Most men now want someone good with kids, someone that doesn't party like it is 1999 every night, someone that hasn't lost brain cells to wild drug experimentation in their misspent youth.

I like being average. However, this is not to say that I think I am ordinary. I have tons of things in my favor that make me amazing and I am not afraid to say it. Just because I am not outrageous does not mean that I am not extraordinary. In fact....I am so different from anyone that you have ever known and if you don't keep reading me....you will never find anyone like me again.

2 comments:

  1. Surely by now you realize that you are really are more intelligent and funny than the average person! You have your priorities in order, now the trick is to find someone as worthy as yourself to spend the rest of your life with. This is the tricky part...most men are not in your league.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! You are officially now my very favorite reader :)

    ReplyDelete