Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blue Sky~

So I have a new favorite song! I know you are on the edge of your kitchen chair/ living room sofa/ lawn furniture/ beanbag waiting to hear what it is! It is called 'Blue Sky' by Emily West, featuring Keith Urban. I love it for the chorus, which goes a little something like this....

"Weather man says it’s gonna rain tonight
The kind of storm where the basement floods and you lose the lights
Should have thought of that before
‘Cause I’m not your blue sky anymore"

And I love it for two reasons. One, it says 'up yours' in prettier words to the tune of a song that feels like 'i really love you'. Very clever. (Jaron and the Long Road Home do this, too, with "I Pray For You" which I like, but this one is way prettier) I like clever.

Two, it uses the analogy of a storm and I LOVE storms. I love the drama of a good storm; the way that the wind seems to to just kick it up a notch at a time until you are looking at the sky just waiting for it. And then the pick up and build until the thunder is arguing with itself and the lightning is splitting the sky in pieces like ripping fabric. And then the storm afterglow, when the thunder just mumbles vaguely in the distance while the rain plays quiet against the roof and everything just seems to settle back into itself and breathe. I love that this song uses that rise and fall to illustrate a failed relationship. Again with the clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment